March 16, 2014

Just keep swimmin'...

I've recently started swimming again, so I thought I would jot down my workouts, such as they are. I'm seriously out of shape, so the first few times, I've not gotten as much yardage as I would have liked. But I also like not drowning, so it all works out in the end. :)

The past few workouts have been pretty much what I used to do when I swam laps 3-4 times a week, before Bubba was born... minus a few hundred yards and modified for my current ability. It's basically alternating 50's of breaststroke, freestyle, and backstroke, with 100-200 yards of kicking mixed in. All in all, my max is about 700 yards in about 30-45 minutes. At my non-teenage peak, I was at 1,200 yards in 45 minutes, with more 100's. So I have some work to do, as well as needing to research better swim sets. What I do now is a little boring.

I'm also toying with the idea of joining Masters Swimming, which is run by the same association that governs swim clubs commonly found in thousands of communities around the country. Except those clubs are focused mainly on youth swimming up until age 18, and all are competitive. Masters is the same thing, but for people 18 and older, and it's more focused on swimming for fitness. There are Masters competitions, though there aren't many, and travel would be required. But my only hangup, is that the closest club that offers a Masters program is 100 miles way. It is possible for me to be unaffiliated and to only work out by myself, but heck, if I'm going to pay the same fees, I kind of want some coaching out of the deal, ya know? But on the flip side, it'd be nice to feel as though I'm a part of something, even if I'm working by myself. I don't know. More thinking to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment