January 1, 2014

Goals for 2014

A friend of mine recently came out of blog hibernation to post her goals for 2014, and it has spurred me into doing the same thing. However, I will not call them resolutions. To me, calling something a resolution makes it seem as though I HAVE to do it or I'm a failure. But a goal implies that you're working towards something and the path might not always be perfect, but as long as you get there, that's all that matters. If you look up the two words though, the definitions are essentially the same. So anyway...

#1) Get more active, somehow. I say somehow because I don't know exactly how I want to go about it yet. I love swimming, but there isn't much to work towards while swimming besides getting in shape and losing weight. Joining a masters program online might help, as it would give me opportunities to compete every once in a while (not that I've ever been a good swimmer, but I like competing). I'm also contemplating taking up running, as 3 of my friends have now taken it up and are having fun working towards 5K's and half marathons. The only hitch is that it involves me actually running. Last time I ran, I didn't think it was a whole lot of fun. But if I had something to work towards (races!), maybe it could become my new crack? I don't know. All I know is that I need to do something.

#2) Eat better. I'm the first to admit that I eat like crap. Yeah, I don't eat a lot of fast food, but just because I make it at home doesn't mean it's better for you. Things like ramen noodles, Mt. Dew, shells and cheese and frozen pizza are things I eat very regularly. It bothers the heck out of my husband, who is trying his hardest to become vegan. Maybe I eat this way as a silent protest to his dietary changes. Either way, it's not healthy, period. I aim to cut most of the crap and eat more wholesome foods, including veggies. There's no way I could become vegan, or even vegetarian. But that doesn't mean I can't eat healthy.

#3) Re-connect friendships. Not saying I've lost any friends, but for the past 6 months or so, I've felt myself pulling away more and more from pretty much everyone. I don't want to say I'm depressed, but I'm certainly not happy, and when I'm not happy, I seclude myself. But I'm tired of it. I feel as though life is going on and I know nothing of it. So I aim to get out more, or have the girls over more, or both. And hopefully with me adding exercise and better food to the mix, maybe I can shake the funk that I've been in.

#4) Find another hobby besides the internet. Let's face it: I love the internet. Even some of my hobbies are on the internet. But I think I spend a little too much time on it. So maybe it's time to re-teach myself how to knit/crochet, or pick something else up? I'll have to think on it, as there are lots of things I could do.

#5) Find a workable solution for housework. I'm very sporadic about what I clean and when, although it does get done eventually. It just needs to be more on a schedule, I guess. Yay. But it needs to happen, no matter how I feel about it.

I think 5 goals are more than doable. Of course there are more non-me related things I could add to the list, but focusing on Matthew got me to this point in the first place. This is all for ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment